FDT technology, what is it?
FDT standardizes the communication and configuration interface between all field devices and host systems. FDT provides a common environment for accessing the devices’ most sophisticated features. Any device can be configured, operated, and maintained through the standardized user interface – regardless of supplier, type or communication protocol.
3 key elements to understand FDT
The FDT interface – Integration standard
The FDT interface is the specification describing the standardized data exchange between devices and control system or engineering or asset management tools.
DTM – Device driver
DTMs are classified into two categories :
- Device DTMs which connect to the field device configuration components
- CommDTMs which connect to the software communication components.
The DTM provides a unified structure for accessing device parameters, configuring and operating the devices, and diagnosing problems. DTMs can range from a simple Graphical User Interface for setting device parameters to a highly sophisticated application capable of performing complex real-time calculations for diagnosis and maintenance purposes.
- Provided by the device manufacturer
- Represents the whole logic and parameters of a device
- Standardized interface to the FDT Frame Application
- Can be used in any FDT Frame Application
- DTM Style Guide
- Represents communication components like PC communication cards, couplers, gateways, remote I/Os, and linking devices.
FDT Frame Application – Host system
The Frame Application is a software program that implements Device DTMs and CommDTMs. The Frame Application provides:
- Common environment
- User Management
- DTM Management
- Data Management
- Network Configuration